Don't miss any stories Follow Tennis View

Federer to miss Remainder of Season

Jul 26th 2016

In news that disappointed many tennis fans, Roger Federer has decided to pull out of the Rio Olympics and will miss the remainder of the season.

“I'm extremely disappointed to announce that I will not be able to represent Switzerland at the Olympic Games in Rio and that I will also miss the remainder of the season,” he said.

On a Facebook post addressing fans, the 17-time grand slam champion said he will “need more extensive rehabilitation following my knee surgery earlier this year.” The absence means that he will miss the U. S. Open and the Barclay’s ATP World Tour Finals.

Roger Federer

However, the 34-year gave no indication that retirement was in the works, stating that he hopes this action will prolong his career. “The doctors advised that if I want to play on the ATP World Tour injury free for another few years, as I intend to do, I must give both my knee and body the proper time to fully recover,” he said.

Federer made it clear that he plans to return as a factor on the tour once more. “I am as motivated as ever and plan to put all my energy towards coming back strong, healthy and in shape to play attacking tennis in 2017.”

The Swiss had been able to avoid injury for most of his career, but 2016 has been a season of adversity beginning with a knee injury as a result of a slip while preparing a bath for his daughter early in the year. The incident led to the first surgery of his career on February 3. Most recently, Federer has dealt with a back injury that forced him to miss the French Open.

He left fans with some encouraging words, “The love I have for tennis, the competition, tournaments and of course you, the fans remains intact.”